Gluten-free and not too sweet, these chocolate peanut butter quinoa bars are the perfect homemade dessert or snack. The addition of quinoa adds protein, fiber, iron, and nine essential amino acids. Quinoa flour is sold at a number of health food stores, but if you have difficulty finding it, you can simply grind up quinoa in a coffee grinder or blender. They taste even better when served cold the next day!
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (for a dairy-free option, replace with Coconut Oil)
1/2 cup crunchy natural organic peanut butter (for a nut-free option replace with sunflower seed butter)
2 large organic eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
3/4 cup quinoa flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with butter and a light layer of flour.
- Beat butter and peanut butter together until creamy. Add in eggs, brown sugar or Sucanat, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: quinoa flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually. Stir until just combined then add in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 45 minutes before cutting into pieces.