Sunrise Crunch: A Grain-Free Cereal Adventure!
By Lisa Collins | Fact Checked By Lisa Collins | Sources
Homemade grain-free cereal is a good breakfast alternative to sugary breakfast choices like commercial cereal. It's more nutritious because you can:
Choose which nuts, seeds, and dried fruits to include for essential nutrients like healthy fats, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Opt for natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or dates in moderation.
Be mindful of calories as grain-free cereals can be calorie-dense due to nuts and dried fruits. Enjoy in moderation.
Pair cereal with a protein source like Greek yogurt, nut butter, or eggs for satiety and balance.
Consider dietary requirements and preferences.
Here is a sample recipe on what to include in yours.
1 cup nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts, cashews), chopped
1 cup seeds (e.g., sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup dried fruits (e.g., raisins, cranberries, chopped dates)
1 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Makes (4-6 servings)
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped nuts, seeds, shredded coconut, and dried fruits. Mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the honey or maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet or tray.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least 1-2 hours or until the mixture firms up.
- Once chilled, break the cereal into small clusters or bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the grain-free cereal to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. You can store this grain-free cereal in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- You can enjoy this no-cook grain-free cereal by itself as a snack, or as a topping for yogurt, smoothie bowls, or milk of your choice. Feel free to experiment with different nuts, seeds, and dried fruits to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy!